<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://fancyfrugallife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Fancy Frugal Life: Avocado, Corn, Cilantro & Lime Quinoa Salad

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Avocado, Corn, Cilantro & Lime Quinoa Salad


We've been making some positive food changes lately along with rejoining the gym after a 6 year period of not working out since having kids. Yep instead of crash dieting/fasting I've decided to become healthy the "right" way. There's not going to be a super strict "diet", because I lose weight then gain it right back with those, It's getting old....blah I don't like talking about it.
The difference now is I just want myself and my family to all be healthy and not a specific size or weight. I also can't just eat plain protein and veggies forever. I love food, parties, cooking, and bright flavors too much.
This recipe has veggies, high protein grain, and just as important... It tastes wonderful!



I've had quinoa before at restaurants and for some reason thought it would be difficult to cook, but in reality it's easy just like rice.


This salad was adapted by one I had pinned from a beautiful blog called Eating For England. Her's had black beans, but I had pinto beans in my pantry. I also added corn, used less onion, forgot the garlic.

Here is exactly what I used:

1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
1 tbsp olive oil 
1 3/4 cup water
(Toast the dry quinoa over med heat for 2-4 min with the oil, then add water, and simmer for 20 min til it cooks through.)
1 can pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
1 avocado, chopped into chunks
2 small tomatoes chopped
1/4 red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped 
small handful cilantro, diced
Dressing (whisk together):
1 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tbsp olive oil
salt, to taste

Once you toss it all together it takes a few minutes for all the flavor to soak in. It's actually even better the next day! And we actually added grilled chicken (not pictured) to it and made it a meal.


My husband and I both loved this salad and I'm sure you will too!

The next day I took this treat to a BBQ and it was a big hit. It's just low cal angel food cake, fresh strawberries, and a little drizzled Nutella. I melted a few tablespoons in a glass dish for 10 sec in the microwave, then drizzled.

Perfect end of the week treat!

Do you love cooking with Quinoa? 


Joining:

Skip To My Lou
Crafty Confessions
Tip Junkie handmade projects


The 36th AVENUE


Foodie Friday @ Momtrends

Blissful and Domestic

Create and Inspire party @ Little Creativity
SixSistersStuff.com

13 Comments:

At July 16, 2012 at 2:37 AM , Blogger Mariaelena said...

Good morning...i use quinoa all the time for salads and sides...going to absolutely make your version and LOVE the idea for the dessert...thx for the great ideas!!
Mariaelena

 
At July 17, 2012 at 10:05 AM , Blogger Bellenza Wedding Bistro said...

Wow, this looks super healthy...and delicious!

 
At July 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM , Blogger Bliss said...

I don't know what to do with quinoa. I have a big container of it I got at Costco too.

~Bliss~

 
At July 20, 2012 at 8:03 AM , Blogger karen@somewhatquirky said...

I'm going to have to make some form of this - I say a form because I'm a cilantro hater. And raw peppers of any color - hate them too. BUT the dressing sounds amazing, so I will be cooking up some quinoa soon!

 
At July 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM , Blogger Babs said...

Both of these dishes look delicious. I bought some quinoa for the first time, and I'll make your recipe. The angel food cake, strawberries and Nutella...YUM!
Babs

 
At July 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM , Blogger Jenny@NorthwestLovelies said...

This sounds so yummy! We're trying to eat healthier too, so I'm glad I found this post! I want to try the dessert too! :)

 
At July 20, 2012 at 7:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks great! I don't eat wheat, so quinoa is a pretty big staple in our house. I'm always looking for new ideas on how to spice it up! Sarah (PS Hopped over from Tatertots and Jello)

 
At July 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM , Blogger marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

oh my gosh those book look delicious. I love quinoa I just always forget about it. And you can bring those dessert kabobs to my house any day!

marissa
http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

 
At July 20, 2012 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Mackenzie said...

This looks so delicious! We'd love to invite you to join us on Saturday Show & Tell @ Cheerios and Lattes. I know my readers would love these ideas too! Mackenzie :)
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/saturday-show-tell-20/

 
At July 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM , Blogger The Barkers said...

I love to cook with quinoa! My husband makes a wonderful cream of quinoa for breakfast and my aunt makes a fabulous quinoa salad

 
At July 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM , Blogger The Barkers said...

I love to cook with quinoa! My husband makes a wonderful cream of quinoa for breakfast and my aunt makes a fabulous quinoa salad

 
At July 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM , Blogger The Barkers said...

I love to cook with quinoa! My husband makes a wonderful cream of quinoa for breakfast and my aunt makes a fabulous quinoa salad

 
At July 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I admit that I have a bag of quinoa sitting in my pantry but have been to scared to use it. This recipe looks really good.

If you get a chance come link up at my Pin Party.

http://www.sarahdawndesigns.blogspot.com/2012/07/pintastic-monday-link-party-1.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home