<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://fancyfrugallife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Fancy Frugal Life: DIY Stencil Frame Tutorial & Nautical Entryway

Sunday, June 10, 2012

DIY Stencil Frame Tutorial & Nautical Entryway


I was lucky enough to attend a fun stencil class while at SNAP the conference taught by Melanie from Royal Designs Studio. They were nice enough to give me this beautiful Moorish Endless Circle stencil. I had been unsuccessful at stenciling before, so I was super excited to actually see someone demonstrate it beautifully! I learned some important tips that I'll share with you all today...
The colors and inspiration for this project came from our latest family picture. I wanted to create a big custom frame and thought this was an excellent excuse to test out my new stencil! :) I found a piece of scrap MDF wood and had my husband cut it to a 20x20inch square. After painting the wood white and stenciling it with royal blue acrylic paint, I painted a $5 frame yellow from Hobby Lobby and glued it on with e6000 glue. .

Here's some important info on the stenciling part.
I bought a cheap round shape stencil brush from Hobby Lobby and the bristles came out a lot causing some streaks and mistakes. I will purchase a nice brush for next time!
I squeezed some paint on the paper plate and then brushed off alot of paint on a Bounty paper towel using a circular motion. She specifically says to use a high quality towel. Then tape your stencil down with painters tape, and use a light circular motion to paint the stencil. Bleeding is caused from using too much paint. So use a little!
Here's the best part of this stencil...   
 It has dots to help you line up for the next round! So easy!...And I LOOOOVE the result. 
Here's my finished project and how it looks styled when you walk in my house!
I wanted a summer nautical look so I shopped my house and borrowed a few things from my son's surfer room.
I found this cute jute covered vase at Goodwill last week for .99!
One shell is from HomeGoods and one from Goodwill.
This small frame (Target) fit into the anchor (Goodwill) perfectly!

I found these neat Tommy Bahama Home burlap place mats $2.99 each at HomeGoods and lined them up like a runner...
 Now my house is all ready for summer!
Thanks for stopping by! xo




joining:
stencil star


Create & Inspire Party @A Little Inspiration













Watcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane






Tip Junkie handmade projects





SNAP the Conference Show & Tell














Button pic 9

The 36th AVENUE














”Little
It's OVerflowing


SixSistersStuff.com SixSistersStuff.com
TDC Before and After

12 Comments:

At June 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM , Blogger Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Cute, cute, cute. I love it. The stencils are so pretty and so well done. Love the frame and the anchor, using the seahorse in the vignette is just perfect. Great table display. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, marty

 
At June 13, 2012 at 7:52 AM , Blogger Shiloh said...

I haven't done much stencilling at all. It's definitely something I want to try. I love the colors you put together.:) They're so crisp and bright.

 
At June 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love how it turned out. I went to that class as well and thought it was great.

 
At June 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM , Blogger Connie Nelson said...

Very nice, please link it up with me today at Wow Us Wednesday. Following you on linky followers now :)

 
At June 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM , Blogger Breezy Brie said...

This turned out great!! :) I love this design - I think it's actually my blog background right now! And cool to see how it helps you line up to get ready for the next time.
I love all your nautical stuff!!

Brie @ BreezyPinkDaisies

 
At June 15, 2012 at 12:16 PM , Blogger Connie Nelson said...

thanks for linking with me.

 
At June 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM , Blogger Our Pinteresting Family said...

Your frame looks fantastic. I also love all your other cute finds as well. Megan

 
At June 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is such a cute frame! Great job. I'd love to have you come link up at my Tutorial Tuesday http://www.ourthriftyideas.com/2012/06/tutorial-tuesday-10.html

 
At June 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

SUPER CUTE! Crossing my fingers you'll share at my party! Saturdays at Seven!

XO, Aimee

 
At June 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM , Blogger Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

This is a really great project! So cute! I hope you will come link it up at my Pinworthy Projects Party!

 
At June 23, 2012 at 7:53 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

SUPER CUTE! Featuring you today! Can't wait to see what you share at tonight's party! XO, Aimee

 
At June 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM , Blogger Six Sisters said...

Love the frame!! Cute color combination! We are so glad that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". Please come back again really soon! Thanks! -The Sisters

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home