<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://fancyfrugallife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Fancy Frugal Life: Cannin & Jammin (Fancy Frugal Strawberry Jam)

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cannin & Jammin (Fancy Frugal Strawberry Jam)







Over the 4th of July weekend we pretty much hung around the house and relaxed, actually my family mostly relaxed and I was able to complete my very first canning project! (Yay, go me!) What motivated me was that strawberries were on sale for $.77 a pint, and we happened to be out of jam. Don't you think jam/jelly in the store seems expensive? Sheesh.

Also, I don't know about you all, but PB&J sandwiches are a fav around here and we go through both jam and peanut butter fast. In fact my little one just plain calls it "lunch"!

The Pioneer Woman's two posts on Canning for Dummies, I mean "Canning 101" & they are so helpful! I read both posts Part 1, and Part 2 a few times and felt like I pretty much got it! I did buy the cans, lids, and tongs like she suggested as well.

Here is her simple recipe I followed, (well except I ran out of sugar and used a little less..shh)


Simple Strawberry Jam
5 cups hulled mashed strawberries

7 cups sugar4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 49g package powdered fruit pectin
1. Place 8 or 9 8-ounce mason jars in a large hot water bath canner (or pot). Cover with water and bring to a simmer.

2. Simmer center lids in separate saucepan full of water.
3. Place mashed strawberries and lemon juice in a separate pot. Stir in pectin until dissolved. Bring strawberries to a strong boil.
4. Add sugar (measure beforehand so you can add it all at once), then return mixture to a full (violent) boil that can’t be stirred down. Boil hard for 1 minute 15 seconds.5.
Skim foam off the top.
6. Remove one jar at a time from the simmering water. Pour water back into the pot. Using a wide-mouth funnel, fill each jar with jam, being careful to keep the liquid/fruit ratio consistent. Fill jars so that they have 1/4-inch of space at the top.
7. Run a knife down the side of the jar to get rid of air bubbles.8. Wipe rim of jar with a wet cloth to remove any residue or stickiness.
9. Remove center lid from simmering water and position it on top.
10. Put screw bands on jars, but do not overtighten!
11. Repeat with all jars, then place jars on canning rack and lower into the water.
12. Place lid on canner, then bring water to a full boil. Boil hard for 10 to 12 minutes.
13. Turn off heat and allow jars to remain in hot water for an addition five minutes.
14. Remove jars from water using a jar lifter, and allow them to sit undisturbed for 24 hours.
15. After 24 hours, remove screw bands and check the seal of the jars. Center lids should have no give whatsoever. If any seals are compromised, store those jars in the fridge.
Otherwise, fill your pantry with your newly canned goodness.
Enjoy!
After I followed all of her directions I got this








This jam is way yummy! In fact my 5 year old asked me yesterday. "Mom can I have a sandwich with your homemade jam?" LOL I impressed him I guess.


These look great as they are but let's make them pretty! First I cut some 6 inch squares from cute fabric. Then I folded them in fourths and rounded one side with my new pinking shears. They don't have to be perfect at all. Then just fasten with a rubber band or hair bands.


I found these cute free printable labels from Intimate Weddings! Love it.
Now these look so great I will probably save for gifts and make us some freezer jam! :)
I saw this the other day and had to share...DIY Uncrustables from The Creative Imperative....Genious! How great to make your own so the'll be way cheaper and healthier! I need a Pampered Chef sandwich press now!




Here's what I also did with strawberries that weekend! My patriotic 4th of July Trifle!
UPDATE: Because this image was so popular on Pinterest I talk about how to make this dessert  here, and I also made an on the stick version here!



The stars are just from a Sara Lee pound cake and a cookie cutter...so simple and festive :
Hope you are enjoying summer strawberries like we are!

Love what you see? I hope you'll follow along.

Promote Your Page Too






 
Linking to:



Somewhat Simple


36th Avenue>

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special




Design Dazzle


Fancy Frugal Life

Promote Your Page Too

9 Comments:

At July 14, 2011 at 5:42 PM , Blogger Stephanie @ henry happened said...

Oh, I love your jam! Such beautiful packaging!!

 
At July 14, 2011 at 11:02 PM , Blogger Brittany said...

Looks delicious! I will try this!

P.S. I am having a giveaway on my blog. There are awesome organizational charts and tools for moms and kids. I hope you will enter!

 
At July 15, 2011 at 5:13 PM , Blogger Dacia said...

I love canning & hope to do some jam this year. Your jars are so cute! Visiting from TT&J

 
At July 15, 2011 at 5:23 PM , Blogger BluBabesCreate said...

That was wonderful! Thank-you! I wanna start my canning just for the looks!

 
At July 17, 2011 at 9:10 AM , Blogger DesignDazzle.blogspot.com said...

What a great job with all the strawberry projects! Everything looks delicious. Thanks for link up : )
Toni

 
At July 20, 2011 at 10:29 PM , Blogger Desiree @ The 36th AVENUE said...

I just want to thank you and let you know that I am featuring tomorrow your sweet idea on my blog...

Make sure you visit and button up!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 4:31 PM , Blogger pam said...

Love this!

I need a star cookie cutter tough, I saw a huge box someplace with all kinds of Holiday cutters. Wish I would have bought it.

Beautiful site by the way,

Pam

 
At June 24, 2012 at 5:01 AM , Blogger Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

This dessert is beautiful! Yummy! I hope you'll link up to my Patriotic Project Parade going on now through July 4th.

http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/06/patriotic-project-parade-linky-party.html

 
At June 24, 2012 at 7:57 PM , Blogger Lynn Wood said...

This is such a fun way to use a trifle dish! Love the idea.

Lynn

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home